[svlug] Re: There is as much PRO as AGAINST ... <- NEW: Here's the solution!!!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 31 13:24:22 PDT 2000

begin  Bryan -TheBS- Smith quotation:

> If you see something wrong with this, SAY IT NOW!

{groan}

The conventional approach is as follows:

1. If the subject header is still roughly appropriate, leave it alone.
   For one thing, some people whose mail readers don't thread rely
   on the header as a pseudo-threading mechanism.

2. If the topic has drifted mightily from the header, and the
   drift appears likely to persist, prepend a _succinct_ new
   subject header to the old one.  It's kind to the aforementioned
   people to leave the old subject text in parentheses with "(was: )".

   The idea is not, of course, to write an editorial in the subject
   line or otherwise microadjust the conversation, thereby, to match
   _your_ posts.  Remember, the header is intended for other
   participants' posts, too.

3. If the resulting line is absurdly long, trim it.

I would have thought that the above would be self-evident from list
context, and would not need to be traced out, but I believe that's
roughly how one operates -- for whatever it's worth.

To me, the conventional practice looks non-broken.  So, I see no need to
fix it, and I fail to see the point of the current discussion.

And, no, lest I've somehow failed to be clear:  That is _not_ a good idea.

--
Cheers,     "Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker 40 or 50
Rick Moen    years ago:  You can choose not to smoke, yourself, but it's hard