[svlug] Re: There is as much PRO as AGAINST ... <- NEW: Here's the solution!!!

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Wed May 31 12:54:44 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> There is as much PRO as AGAINST on that one! -- Re: From SVLUG -
> Rick Moen SMACKS TheBS!

Okay kiddies, here's my personal solution that will hopefully
address both the inadequacies of some mail clients sorting by
subject and adopt a more O'Reilly approch to mailing lists and
discussion groups.  This is *NOT* a "standard", but just the
approach I'm going to take from now on.  If you see something wrong
with this, SAY IT NOW!

A.  To respond, on-subject, with a point:
    Keep the old subject at the front, with the "RE:", remove
    any list [] tags (PLEASE!), or any "WAS:" afterwards.
    Then add your point with a "<-" *AFTER* it.

B.  To respond, semi-on-subject, with a fresh/new point/subject:
    Again, keep the old subject at the front, with the "RE:",
    remove tags, WAS:, etc...  Then add your point with a
    "<- NEW:"  *AFTER* it.

C.  To respond, largely off-topic from original subject:
    Again, remove any [] tags, remove any other "WAS:", replace the
    "RE:" with "-- WAS:" and put the new subject *BEFORE* the other.

So, in review:

A.  Making a point to:

 Post Subject:  RE: My topic is cool
     Response:  RE: My topic is cool <- But I have this take on it

B.  Making a point with additional info that goes into other details

 Post Subject:  RE: My topic is cool
     Response:  RE: My topic is cool <- NEW: My take, with other info

C.  Going off on a tanget from the subject, off-topic:
 Post Subject:  RE: My topic is cool
     Response:  Yeah, but what about this topic? -- WAS: My topic is cool

Any complaints?!?!?!

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html