[svlug] NFS Alternative?

Jean-Marc Libs libs at cybercable.tm.fr
Wed May 31 01:19:14 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> > begin Andrew Edem quotation:
> >> I've been using NFS for a few years now, and I was wondering if
> >> there was an alternative to it that would be slightly more
> >> robust. Even with the kernel NFS daemon, it is still painfully
> >> slow. What about CODA, or AFS?
>
> > AFS works OK, but is proprietary.  CODA, when last I checked, was
> > pretty scarily experimental, but might be better than caution
> > suggests.
>
> I hear very good things about Intgermezzo however.

This might be relevant to the conversation:

There is a discussion of Coda and Intermezzo by Peter Braam, who has
worked on Coda, AFS and Intermezzo in the second yellow box in URL:
http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-03-2000/swol-03-nfs_p.html
They are also mentioned in the end of the article.

Jean-Marc Libs

--
                            "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.
            In much the same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."