[svlug] Laplink

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 30 22:58:19 PDT 2000

begin  Todd A. Lyons quotation:

> I have a customer that has an industrial computer installed on one of his
> machines.  It is a 386 with only a very basic DOS install (5.0 IIRC).  It has
> two serial ports and a parallel port.  COM1 communicates with a PLC so its
> function is dedicated.  COM2 is open for my use.  On this computer resides an
> old copy of laplink.  Is there a program available for Linux that can
> interface with DOS laplink?

I don't think so.  If your aim is just to move files back and forth, you
can use a null-modem cable and minicom (on Linux) with Telix or
equivalent (on DOS).

Laplink's protocol is proprietary, and I doubt anyone on Linux has been
moved to take the trouble to reverse-engineer it.  There's little need
for that, when PPP or PLIP will be generally better, anyway.

--
Cheers,     "Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker 40 or 50
Rick Moen    years ago:  You can choose not to smoke, yourself, but it's hard