[svlug] PBI Dynamic IP ADSL

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue May 30 19:58:19 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000 14:48:25 +0100
Terrio Echavez <terrio at tahanan.net> wrote:

> I am trying to set up PPP-Over-Ethernet to access my PBI DSL ISP
> account through the Alcatel Bridge that Pac Bell provided when
> they set up the hardware to my Linux Mandrake 7 desktop and told
> me I was on my own to finish it up.

While I've done PPPoE, it wasn't with PBI, so I can't comment there.
I did note however that it was extremely sensitive to the contents
of the PPP options file.  Changes that should not have had any
significant effect, or should have been handled by the default PPP
negotiation had critical effects.

> I did download the pppoe software from www.roaringpenguin.com...

I used this one successfully:

  http://www.davin.ottawa.on.ca/pppoe/

If you need the PPP options file I used, drop me a note.  That box
is currently offline (actually stuck away in a closet) and I'd have
to pull it out.

> Could I perhaps be missing a PBI DNS number to make the pppoe
> connection work?

DNS is not needed.  PPPoE does a global broadcast.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu