[svlug] NFS Alternative?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 30 16:16:45 PDT 2000

begin  Andrew Edem quotation:

> I've been using NFS for a few years now, and I was wondering if there was an
> alternative to it that would be slightly more robust. Even with the kernel
> NFS daemon, it is still painfully slow. What about CODA, or AFS?

AFS works OK, but is proprietary.  CODA, when last I checked, was pretty
scarily experimental, but might be better than caution suggests.

I agree, on the whole, with Bryan, that you might want to try Higgen's
client NFS v. 3 patch, and that FreeBSD makes a fine NFS server.  But
you'll need to try for yourself, and see if any or all of that meets
your needs.

(I have a patched 2.2.14 kernel -- strictly other people's work -- that
you might try, in http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/system/ .)

--
Cheers,     "Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker 40 or 50
Rick Moen    years ago:  You can choose not to smoke, yourself, but it's hard