[svlug] Feel free to flame me for this one -- Re: NFS Alternative?

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Tue May 30 13:29:21 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Andrew Edem wrote:
> I've been using NFS for a few years now, and I was wondering if there was an
> alternative to it that would be slightly more robust. Even with the kernel
> NFS daemon, it is still painfully slow. What about CODA, or AFS?

First off, I assume you've got most of the latest NFS v3 patches
from Higgen and co.?  The RedHat RPM kernels have done a half-way
decent job in keeping up with them, at least for NFS v2 services.

Otherwise, and feel free to flame me for this, I'd recommend
FreeBSD for NFS v3 services (not client though) for now.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html