[svlug] booting from software raid?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue May 30 11:55:23 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Arthur Thomas wrote:

> i agree with the fact that this is a bad idea however , with / being
> mirrored, should a disk fail, the machine will stay up. how else
> (without hardware raid) can I accomplish this ?

::throws hands up::

You miss the point. It can't know about how to do raid until the raid
software is loaded. I.e., you have created a chicken/egg problem. Clearly,
the partition containing the information on how to do raid cannot itself
be raided with software raid.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti