[svlug] I have a "lilo.raid" script just for RAID-1 -- Re: booting from software raid?

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Tue May 30 11:48:50 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Arthur Thomas wrote:
> lilo can not see the the raided partition :(

Of course not (continue below).  ;->>>

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> This is imho a really really bad idea. Don't make / part of your raid,
> even if you DO have a /boot on a non-raid partition with a kernel.

I beg to differ.

I have a nice, "lilo.raid" script that sets up LILO for two
identically partitioned (at least for the /boot partition) disks.
 It will even re-map the correct BIOS disk ID (0x80) to the second
drive in the case of a failure with the first.

If anyone wants a copy, just let me know.  I'm using it in my new
SmithConcepts.COM server with a pair of Maxtor 13.6GB drives on
just the mainboard controller (not up yet).

*OTHERWISE*, I *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* those 3ware cards
(http://www.3ware.com).  Even their *CO-PROCESSED*, 2-channel
ATAPI/IDE RAID card is CHEAPER (~$20 or so) than the "dumb" Promise
FastTrak66 card (in case you haven't heard, there is *NO
DIFFERENCE* between the $30 Ultra66 and the $130 FastTrak66 besides
the firmware).

For ~$110, the 3ware card has full Linux support, all kinds of
fail-over/rebuilding capabilities, and is mighty fast with its
on-board processor.  They also have 4 and 8-channel cards for ~$200
and $350, respectively.

Again, check'em out BAY-BEE!!!

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html