[svlug] pcmcia network adapters

Todd A. Lyons todd at mrball.net
Sat May 27 18:22:11 PDT 2000

dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:

> Asante is a local (San Jose) company, FWIW. And they say their
> card is supported by Linux.

DLink is a company here in the L.A. area.  This past week, another LUG'r tried
to get their 10/100 pcmcia card going in his Toshiba Tecra 740.  After messing
with the /etc/pcmcia/config file, pcmcia finally identified the card correctly
and starting the network succeeded without a hitch.  But we never could get
the card to communicate over the network.  Their box is labeled as supporting
Linux, so my buddy called them up.  The first tech didn't know exactly how to
respond to him.  The second tech's response was "that's just a marketing
ploy."  Kudos for honesty, but it kinda ticks me off that they would do that
just to increase sales.  I can say that my DLink 10 Megabit pcmcia card works
flawlessly (and worked flawlessly in his laptop as well).  I dunno if this is
a case of newer pcmcia_cs breaking older drivers or DLink changing chipsets or
what.

In regard to my friend's situation, he brought the DLink back and got a
Linksys 10/100.  Plugged it in, worked without a hitch.  I spose I could
contact the pcmcia maintainer and mention that whatever pcmcia support used to
work does not appear to work now.  I'll look into that.
--
Blue skies...		Cannonball  	http://www.mrball.net
*       One GUI to rule them all, One GUI to find them        *