[svlug] ESR's .sig

Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat emayssat at valinux.com
Fri May 26 13:35:21 PDT 2000

Hey Rick,

I think you took my last email a little bit too seriously ... didn't you
notice the smiley everywhere ? ok, there was just one, my mistake !
If you are too stressed out by work, just take some vacation time ;-)
( see the smiley there ? )

Ah, what would be the svlug without Rick... I am still wondering !

Rick , I think I can say it on the behalf of everybody here :
Rick, we all love you.

:::               )))
:::                )))
:::                 )))
       ------       )))
      --------       )))        good artwork, isn't it ?
       ------       )))
:::                 )))
:::                )))
:::               )))

PS: see comments below.

--
Emmanuel

| Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:06:26 PDT
| From:  Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
|
| begin  Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat quotation:
|
| > To make things worse... what about pgp signatures ?
| > What about signing messages, where in fact nobody is going
| > to check if the author is the real one ?
|
| This is called the fallacy of assuming the consequent:  You are (in
| effect) asking whether cryptographic signatures serve any purpose, while
| simultaneously stipulating that they don't.

The purpose of a pgp signature is to authenticate the sender of the message.
If the content of the message do not require us to authenticate the sender
then the pgp signature is useless.
This is the case if we care only about the value of the message's content,
 not about the sender. i.e this is the case on most mailing  list
I believe  ( including svlug ! )

| But you cannot _assume_ ab initio what you are putting up for discussion,
| Emmanuel.  That makes no sense.

I agree, but netiquette, the signature, and all that stuff has be discussed
many times, I even have a book on it ! ( and guess what ? I read it ;-)
It has been discussed many times and we are still talking about it.
That's why, this entire thread doesn't make any sense either. You can conclude
anything you want, you won't change what's happening out there ( including
how people behave on the svlug mailing list. )
It is time to get out of your shell, people won't adapt to software,
( reference to email length thread, or including signature in reply thread )
but software can ( and eventually will ) adapt to people.

| Additionally, I've noticed that many people shift to expressing their
| opinions in the form of questions in order to shield those views from
| critical scrutiny.  You, specifically, seem to have fallen into that
| habit lately, Emmanuel, and it's a tiresome one.

ok, I ll change this habit.
I learned that asking question was the best way to get people to interact.
It apparently doesn't work with emails. Thanks for your advice.

| > I have seen quite a few pgp signed emails on the svlug mailing list....
| > Are we all compliant with netiquette ?
|
| Nobody is Miss Manners all the time.  Look, do you have a point, or are
| you trying to advance some silly "tu quoque" fallacy about one person's
| discourtesy somehow making someone else's OK?

This sentence is too long for me... I get exhausted just by reading it. ;-)
It doesn't seem to be nice though.  ;-)

Finally this email doesn't require any answer from anybody.
If I seem to be rude, this is really not the intended purpose,
but I also know that miscommunication exists, so ...
let me appologize in advance.

So have a nice day ...

| Robert-Emmanuel Mayssat                      @ VA Linux, Inc       |
| https://vaweb.valinux.com/~emayssat/         Desk # : 408/542-8759 |