[svlug] Port 1480, pacerfourm.

Chris Waters xtifr at dsp.net
Fri May 26 12:51:55 PDT 2000

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> begin  Joey Hess quotation:

> > Last I checked, ports above 1024 were first-come, first-served.

> Yes, but 1480/tcp had already _been_ first-served, and was so listed in
> the IANA-maintained Registered Ports list.  "The IANA registers uses of
> these ports as a convenience to the community", to quote the list.

Well, I just checked, and gnome-session is definitely not hardwired to
1480.  On my laptop, for example, it's using 1025/tcp.  I suspect that
it chooses a free port at random, or something.
--
Chris Waters   xtifr at dsp.net | I have a truly elegant proof of the
      or    xtifr at debian.org | above, but it is too long to fit into