[svlug] startx | no tcp port ?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Fri May 26 12:01:38 PDT 2000

At Fri, 26 May 2000 it looks like Rick Moen composed:

RM-> You have an extremely good point, and, even before that advisory, I
RM-> considered X way too dangerous to even allow at all on my servers.
RM-> However, I do have it on a couple of laptops, and those are obviously
RM-> uncomfortably vulnerable.  So, I'm delighted to see you digging into
RM-> how remote access can best be disabled (except via ssh forwarding),
RM-> and am going to sit back and let _you_ do the hard work.  ;->

Let's not forget who was one of my teachers at 744 Harrison St, you my
friend. :) I can remember driving half way down to one of the meetings
and turning around for I had forgotten something very important, not
my computer or my monitor but my pen and paper for notes !!!

You would start all the install off with something close to "Now,
whereis you pen and paper for notes ?" I still have my first
handwrittien notes from that Toshiba Laptop that had no CDROM and you
manually configured X for me and made me take notes !!!

I attibute lessons like that to enabling me to do a career change from
being a Machinist to now working in the Linux industry. And Gawd do I
miss looking over the partition and seeing you there. :)

        Bill Schoolcraft  http://www.billschoolcraft.com
        PO Box 210076	         San Francisco, CA 94121

                " saevis tranquillus in undis "