[svlug] startx | no tcp port ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 26 11:32:56 PDT 2000

begin  Bill Schoolcraft quotation:

> It's the fact that port 6000 opens up _on_ my ipchains box, I wanted
> to omit it from opening by default, it's the following article that
> had me thinking.
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-05-25-018-04-SC-CD

You have an extremely good point, and, even before that advisory, I
considered X way too dangerous to even allow at all on my servers.
However, I do have it on a couple of laptops, and those are obviously
uncomfortably vulnerable.  So, I'm delighted to see you digging into
how remote access can best be disabled (except via ssh forwarding),
and am going to sit back and let _you_ do the hard work.  ;->

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           Never ask a sysadmin "What's up?"