[svlug] startx | no tcp port ?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Fri May 26 11:29:09 PDT 2000

At Fri, 26 May 2000 it looks like Tin Le composed:

TL-> Umm, you _are_ running filter on your machine, no?  Security starts at each
TL-> host.  By habit, machines I set up have something like this in the bootup
TL-> script:
TL->
TL-> # flush all commands/rules
TL-> ipchains -F
TL->
TL-> # Now, default policy on the input chain is DENY, so everything else
TL-> # gets dropped:
TL-> ipchains -P input DENY
TL->
TL-> ..setup filters..etc...

More than likely I'm missing something in reading the following
security warning but if you "portscanned" my box I didn't want 6000 to
be open and listening, that is before we even get to the layer of IP
Chains rulesets.

When my Xserver is not loaded, ports 22,80,53 are open and the machine
still Masquerades my whole internal network fine.

When I'm personally using the Xserver on the Masq (IP_Chains) box,
ports 22,80,53, and 6000 open. It's 6000 that I'm trying to close.
There is nothing open in /etc/inetd.conf and there is no mention at
all of 6000 in /etc/services etc.

Please advise me if I'm reading the below message wrong, but isn't the
below attack using port 6000 ?

TL-> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-05-25-018-04-SC-CD

        Bill Schoolcraft  http://www.billschoolcraft.com
        PO Box 210076	         San Francisco, CA 94121

                " saevis tranquillus in undis "