[svlug] fstab tape stuff

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Fri May 26 07:08:06 PDT 2000

> I backed up a 1.6 gig partition in about 20 minutes.  However, with
> tar  t /dev/st0, I never got a listing of the archive?

To see what's there, you'll need to include the -v flag. Otherwise, tar
just reads from the device. Thus, 'tar -tf' is not very useful, since it
doesn't give you any output, and it doesn't extract. Useful, though, if
you want to move the tape, I guess.

What you probably want to type is 'tar -tvf /dev/st0'.

> The mt commands don't seem to work.  The tape never seemed to rewind,
> there is no eject option for mt, and actually the tape won't eject even if

I've not had to use it to eject the tape -- there might be some functional
reason why your tape won't eject. It's not mounted, so there's nothing
software-wise (assuming the drive itself is not active) to keep you from
'unmounting' (removing) the tape.

One thing to understand about 'mt' is that if you want to position to
a particular spot on the tape -- you need to use the *non-rewinding*
version of the device. If you don't, it positions to the spot on the
tape, and then rewinds. Kinda pointless.

Try 'mt -f /dev/nts0 fsf 1' for instance to move one spot on the
tape.

David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.