[svlug] startx | no tcp port ?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Fri May 26 04:03:47 PDT 2000

At Thu, 25 May 2000 it looks like Karen Shaeffer composed:

KS-> Hi Bill,
KS->
KS-> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx: Bourne shell script text
KS->
KS-> It's a script. Go in there and make it do whatever you want. And you'll see
KS-> when you look in there, it is really simple and just calls xinit. And xinit
KS-> just calls X. So, you really need to refer to the X manpage, if you can't
KS-> make startx dance to your tune.
KS->
KS-> Hope that helps.
KS-> c,
KS-> Karen

Thanks Karen,

	This whole thing more or less started as the result of a Unix
class I was (just finished) taking at San Francisco's City College
given by Ulf Wostner, who I might add broke rank and decided to teach
it with Linux http://wiz.ccsf.cc.ca.us

	Security was the underlying topic throughout the class and the
fact that everytime I `startx` port 6000 opened kind of bugged me. I
just didn't think the answer was so elusive to be honest with you. The
fact that I saw the command back during the RH-4.2 days and can't
recall it is just as maddening.

	Your response seems the most logical since the numerous
manpages seem to omit the needed flag. This is yet another cool little
home project to relax with, thanks again. :)

        Bill Schoolcraft  http://www.billschoolcraft.com
        PO Box 210076	         San Francisco, CA 94121

                " saevis tranquillus in undis "