[svlug] ESR's .sig

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 25 23:46:08 PDT 2000

begin  dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com quotation:

> I remember sometime back you said something about not quoting other
> peoples' signature lines. I don't know of any standard that
> specifically targets this -- I only know from experience....

Well, since you mention it:

It's not that I mind.  (I just have it classified as a a dfox trademark.)
But it really doesn't serve any purpose:  We don't read your posts to
read other people's .sigs:  We read them to see what you have to say,
and in response to what.

The reason you include (minimal amounts of) quoted text is to indicate
what you're replying to -- giving context for your remarks.  Therefore,
logically, you shouldn't quote .sigs except when you're commenting on
them.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           Never ask a sysadmin "What's up?"