[svlug] looking for statistics on NT vs Linux security issues?

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Thu May 25 19:38:36 PDT 2000

> So, we've been faithfully running Linux for almost 1.5 years without a
> problem or hack. And Sunday we were penetrated (no real dammage occured) and

My system was hacked into as well sometime ago, but at the time I was
running 'top' and able to see who was trying to get in, and was able to
kill the session before it got out of control, lock the box down, etc. It
was partly my fault in the first place though :).

> our Linux server was used in a DoS attack on some other machines. Now our
> VP's and stuff are freaking out and wanting to switch to NT. Ironically, our

OK, does NT do anything like log connections, do process accounting, etc? If
no, the managers have no business switching to NT. What about the downtime
for deployment of a new platform?

> I'd like to send them some statistics to show them that Linux is more secure
> than NT and we shouldn't jump ship and that moving to NT is not only going

I'm not sure that's the right question. The right question should be 'how
do we make our Linux server more secure.' And whether or not Linux is
more secure than NT depends first on what distribution is being run and
what holes (if any) are present.

> holes, hacks, etc... Perhaps the number of closed vs. open security holes
> too. (I know that the Linux ones are patched within hours in most cases)

Right. If you go NT, you keep your holes, otherwise the DMCA police
get after you.

> daevid.com
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.