[svlug] startx | no tcp port ?

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu May 25 19:21:03 PDT 2000

kmself at ix.netcom.com writes:

> What port do you want it to open?
>
> X11 uses ports 6000 - 6064 by default for displays 1-64 (not sure what
> happens after the first 64 displays).  You can specify 6000 + n by
> referring to display :n, eg:
>
>     startx -- :20 &
>
> ...will run X11 on display :20, listening on port 6020.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 06:29:15PM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > Hello Family,
> >
> > 	While checking out the extended list of possible ports I was
> > trying to recall the argument to the startx command that will not open
> > port 6000 (X11) as it does by default.
> >
> > 	I recall seeing the command once and didn't pay much attention
> > to it, now wishing I had at written it down once to remember. Can
> > anyone recall ? The manpage for 'startx' did not cover it.

You'd find most of the options that do things like this in the man
page for X instead of the man page for startx; startx is a wrapper
script which can pass command-line arguments through to X.  (But you
need to use "--" to tell startx you're done with arguments for startx
itself, as above.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I