[svlug] "Open Source Shareware"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 25 17:37:46 PDT 2000

begin  Aaron T Porter quotation:

> How open is that?  I guess "open source" means you can view the
> source.

I've been promoting the term "viewable source" as a licence category,
alongside and distinct from "open source".

Quite a number of common packages (qmail, pine/pico, Sun's JDKs, Open
Motif) have available source under a variety of licences that, on
account of sundry restrictions, do _not_ meet the Open Source Definition
(http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).  Many of those restrictions are
fairly benign -- and the term "viewable" isn't intended to be pejorative
in any way.

The point, though, is that, if the term "open source" is going to mean
anything specific -- instead of being a vague marketing term denoting
whatever the speaker wants it to -- we have to insist on the only clear
measuring stick we have, namely the OSD.

Thus the term "viewable source".  Viewable, open -- use 'em, abuse 'em,
just don't confuse 'em.  ;->

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,