[svlug] Port 1480, pacerfourm.

Jeffrey B. Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu May 25 15:59:46 PDT 2000

> Yes, but 1480/tcp had already _been_ first-served, and was so listed in
> the IANA-maintained Registered Ports list.  "The IANA registers uses of
> these ports as a convenience to the community", to quote the list.

Pacer Forum doesn't exist any more.  It is reasonably likely there is
not a single copy of Pacer Forum running anywhere in the world.  I don't
think Forum was ever ported to OS 8.  Development was stopped by Pacer
even before a series of corporate acquisitions, each of which made Forum
less relevant to the acquiring company.  The eventual acquirer ended up
dropping all of the remaining Pacer products (which I don't think
included Forum any more) about two-three years ago.

So, as a practical matter, the port has been abandoned and is available
for use.  I don't know what the procedure is for IANA to remove an
assigned port number from their list.