[svlug] ESR's .sig

Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat emayssat at valinux.com
Thu May 25 10:39:04 PDT 2000

I believe the netiquette is due to the following :
80 columns or less, 7 bit ASCII
  		<- for old MUA that do not support terminal capabilities
		<- 7 bit for terminal that can not display accented char
( NOTE : ASCII is always 7 bit, what you call 8 bit ASCII is EBCDIC
it is a standard from IBM )

no more than 4 lines
		<- this mean that the signature should not be too long
		not to clutter the real email content +  storage purpose
		( I know of someone who was including fortune at the end
		of his email, this was a really bad idea. ;-)

line containing --
		<- This is used for email processing by mailing list for
		example. Majordomo for example stop processing the email
		after this line.

As you can see none of those criteria erally make sense today, unless your
recipient is using a very old computer. Hence the netiquette as probably
evolved since then....

Today I think it is :
Do not spam me
Include relevant/meaningful content in your emails

Don't you think so ?

--
Emmanuel

| Robert-Emmanuel Mayssat                      @ VA Linux, Inc       |