[svlug] Why use RedHat kernel RPMs??? -- WAS: Breaking the 2GB EXT2 file size limitation with LFS patch ...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed May 24 18:47:17 PDT 2000

On Wed, 24 May 2000 13:28:24 -0400
Bryan -TheBS- Smith <thebs at theseus.com> wrote:

> Besides, their track history on NFS stability is excellent IMHO.
> No one else seems to integrate numerous, much needed NFS patches
> as standard.

VA does quite a bit of NFS testing for their load, as well as doing
significant work in-house (compliments of H J Lu) on kernel NFS.  I
don't have any direct comparisons again RH visavis NFS, but given
the effort and they put into it, I'd expect them to be at least
equivalent and quite likely a lot better.

Certainly the details of VA's kernel configs are better documented
and published than RH's.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu