[svlug] LinuxPPC and iMac

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed May 24 15:53:15 PDT 2000

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Christopher Young wrote:

> A friend of mine owns an iMac and is interested in running Linux on
> it. After checking the LinuxPPC site I see that the hardware is
> supported and everything seems hunky dory.
>
> Not being familiar with iMacs or Macintosh in general, I am wondering
> if an iMac can take a second hard drive so that he won't have to
> format his existing drive and lose his data.  Do iMacs allow for a
> second drive to be added?  Or is there another alternative?
> Partition Magic for the PPC perhaps?

No, an iMac will not take a second hard drive except via USB and that is
not supported for booting on Linux.

There is no Partition Magic for the PowerPC. Norton Utilities may solve
the problem, but the version I have isn't new enough to support HFS+.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti