[svlug] Divx Player for Linux?

Drew Bloechl drew at cesspool.net
Wed May 24 10:10:26 PDT 2000

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:05:14AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I've heard of a "divx" player plugin for Windows.  Is there such a monster
> for Linux?

Not yet.  Somehow I doubt there will be one either.

DivX -- actually "DivX ;-)" (Yes, with a smily: the mark of
professionalism) -- is basically a plugin for AVI that uses a low-motion
MPEG-4 video stream plus an MPEG-1 audio layer 3 stream (AKA MP3).  Honestly,
I don't know why the idiot who kludged it together felt the need to use
AVI as the system stream.  With a little bit of work you could get both
in a generic MPEG system stream.

I haven't seen any progress on xanim in quite a long time, and that's
really the only player that supports AVI with plugins.

--
Drew Bloechl
drew at cesspool.net
PGP key ID: 33855516