[svlug] Re: Breaking the 2GB EXT2 file size limitation with LFS patch ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 24 09:56:05 PDT 2000

begin  Bryan -TheBS- Smith quotation:

> First off, thanx to Jeff Siegal for his various postings of info.
> I knew I wasn't nuts and had actually seen this info before:
>
>> Here's a patch.  I have no idea if it is the current one, or if
>> it (or something like it) is in the mainline 2.3 now:
>>     http://linux-patches.rock-projects.com/v2.2-f/lfs-32bit.ht

Ah, you see, that's the X/Open Large File Summit approach I was
speaking of, which the kernel team is _considering_ adopting over
the _long_ term -- after reasonable testing.  I was confused by
your original post's wording, as follows:

> Actually, I though that too ... *BUT* there *IS* a patch to support
> >2GB files on Ext2 partitions.  It is now part of the 2.3.x series.
> I too thought it was impossible until I saw it in the change logs.

I'm quite familiar with the 2.3 series (and, to a degree, with proposed
patches), and that one seemed to have somehow slipped by me.

> He also identified it in the RedHat 2.2.14-6 kernel SRPM:

Well, you see, this is why I compile my own kernel, so I don't have to
worry about betaware getting lobbed in there by some, um, helpful
person.

> P.S.  What's with "linux-2.2.13-bigmem-no-lfs.patch"?

I'd suggest asking Red Hat Software, Inc., since you've elected to use
their variant kernel code.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           Never ask a sysadmin "What's up?"