[svlug] RE: 2GB file size limit ... kernels 2.2.14-6.1.1 / 2.2.14-12

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 23 15:48:52 PDT 2000

begin  Bryan -TheBS- Smith quotation:

> Actually, I though that too ... *BUT* there *IS* a patch to support
> >2GB files on Ext2 partitions.  It is now part of the 2.3.x series.
> I too thought it was impossible until I saw it in the change logs.

Would you do me the great favour of posting a reference for the above?
I've tried to find one, and cannot seem to.  (E.g.,
http://edge.kernelnotes.org/changelist.cgi?show=2.3. ,
http://www.kernelnotes.org/kpatch23.html ,
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.3/changes/2.3.html )

Is it possible you're thinking of the 2.3.23 "big memory support"
patch?  That allows addressing of a maximum 64 GB system memory map,
but has no effect on maximum file size.

To the best of my knowledge, the kernel team hsa spoken only of a
general intention to eventually adopt the X/Open 1996 Large File
Summit's scheme for large files (http://ftp.sas.com/standards/large.file/),
and, until then, Linux x86's files are constrained by usage of 32-bit
file descriptors to 2^31 - 1 bytes (2 GB).

But, I'll gladly learn better.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                           Fac me cocleario vomere.