[svlug] Re: Dual Processors

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 23 12:14:46 PDT 2000

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 10:47:18PM -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Jose Medeiros wrote:
> > I just had a quick question for some of the Linux Guru's out there.
> > Does anyone know of a tool that allows me to monitor processor utilization
> > on a dual processor system?
> >
> > BTW:  I tried Top and did not seem to break it down per processor.
>
> Good question.  On Solaris, top does actually display various
> processes on different CPUs.
>
> There has got to be a nice /proc util other than top for cpu
> utilization like there is for VM (e.g., vmstat).  I guess it's just
> not included in Linux distros.  Or maybe we need to write one?
>
> I also looked at ps.  There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for
> tracking per CPU utilization.  Maybe there isn't a /proc interface
> to do such right now (kernel 2.2).
>
> Hmmm, I'd personally like to see something.  Maybe I need to hit the
> kernel 2.3 docs to see if this is, in fact, a /proc limitation in
> 2.2 (that has been addressed in 2.3).

This is an IFAQ (infrequently asked question), verging on SFAQ
(semi...) to which I don't know the answer but someone's memory
might be jogged if I mention I've seen a discussion of patches to top
(pstools?) which render things such as top and ps more useful under
SMP systems.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org