[svlug] Need a man page

Vince Duperron duperron at adsl-63-197-233-201.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Mon May 22 20:48:37 PDT 2000

Hi;

I don't have sar installed on my linux box but here is the man page from my
sgi irix box:

babysnakes 3% man sar | cat

SAR(1)                                                                  SAR(1)

NAME
     sar - system activity reporter

SYNOPSIS
     sar [-ubdycwaqvmprtghIAUTR] [-o file] t [ n ]

     sar [-ubdycwaqvmprtghIAUTR] [-s time] [-e time] [-i sec] [-f file]

DESCRIPTION
     sar, in the first instance, samples cumulative activity counters in the
     operating system at n intervals of t seconds, where t should be 5 or
     greater.  If the -o option is specified, it saves the samples in file in
     binary format.  The default value of n is 1.  In the second instance,
     with no sampling interval specified, sar extracts data from a previously
     recorded file, either the one specified by -f option or, by default, the
     standard system activity daily data file /var/adm/sa/sadd for the current
     day dd.  The starting and ending times of the report can be bounded via
     the -s and -e time arguments of the form hh[:mm[:ss]].  The -i option
     selects records at sec second intervals.  Otherwise, all intervals found
     in the data file are reported.

     In either case, subsets of data to be printed are specified by option:

     -u   Report CPU utilization (the default):
          %usr, %sys, %intr, %wio, %idle, %sbrk - portion of time running in
          user mode, running in system mode, processing interrupts, idle with
          some process waiting for I/O, completely idle or idle with some
          process waiting because system memory is scarce, respectively.
          These six percentages add up to 100%.  The time that the processor
          spent in ``idle waiting for I/O'' state is further broken down into
          the following categories:

          %wfs - waiting for file system I/O
          %wswp - waiting for swap I/O to complete
          %wphy - waiting for physio other than swapping
          %wgsw - waiting for graphics context switch to complete
          %wfif - waiting while graphics pipe too full
          These five numbers add up to 100% of the %wio time.

     -b   Report buffer activity:
          bread/s, bwrit/s - basic blocks transferred between system buffers
          and disk or other block devices;
          lread/s, lwrit/s - basic blocks transferred from system buffers to
          user memory;
          wcncl/s - pending writes in system buffers cancelled;
          %rcach, %wcach - cache hit ratios, that is, (1-bread/lread) as a
          percentage;
          pread/s, pwrit/s - basic block transfers via raw (physical) device
          mechanism.

                                                                        Page 1

SAR(1)                                                                  SAR(1)

     -d   Report activity for each block device, i.e., disk drives.  When data
          is displayed, the device specification dsk- is generally used to
          represent a disk drive.  The activity data reported is:
          %busy, avque - portion of time device was busy servicing a transfer
          request, average number of requests outstanding during that time;
          r+w/s, blks/s - number of data transfers from or to device, number
          of bytes transferred in 512-byte (basic block) units;
          avwait, avserv - average time in ms. that transfer requests wait
          idly on queue, and average time to be serviced (which for disks
          includes seek, rotational latency and data transfer times).

     -y   Report TTY device activity:
          rawch/s, canch/s, outch/s - input character rate, input character
          rate processed by canon, output character rate;
          rcvin/s, xmtin/s, mdmin/s - receive, transmit and modem interrupt
          rates.

     -c   Report system calls:
          scall/s - system calls of all types;
          sread/s, swrit/s, fork/s, exec/s - specific system calls;
          rchar/s, wchar/s - characters transferred by read and write system
          calls.

     -w   Report system swapping and switching activity:
          swpin/s, swpot/s, bswin/s, bswot/s - number of transfers and number
          of 512-byte units transferred for swapins and swapouts (including
          initial loading of some programs);
          pswpout/s - process swapouts
          pswch/s - process switches.

     -g   Report graphics activity:
          gcxsw/s - graphics context switches per second
          ginpt/s - graphics input driver calls per second
          gintr/s - graphics interrupts other than FIFO interrupts per second
          fintr/s - FIFO too full interrupts per second
          swpbf/s - swap buffers calls per second

     -a   Report use of file access system routines:
          iget/s, namei/s, dirblk/s.

     -q   Report average queue length while occupied, and % of time occupied:
          runq-sz, %runocc - run queue of processes in memory and runnable;
          swpq-sz, %swpocc - swap queue of processes swapped out but ready to
          run.

     -v   Report status of process, i-node, file tables and record lock
          tables:
          proc-sz, inod-sz, file-sz, lock-sz - entries/size for each table,
          evaluated once at sampling point;
          ov - overflows that occur between sampling points for each table.

                                                                        Page 2

SAR(1)                                                                  SAR(1)

     -m   Report message and semaphore activities:
          msg/s, sema/s - primitives per second.

     -p   Report paging activities:
          vflt/s - address translation page faults (valid page not in memory);
          dfill/s - address translation fault on demand fill or demand zero
          page;
          cache/s - address translation fault page reclaimed from page cache;
          pgswp/s - address translation fault page reclaimed from swap space;
          pgfil/s - address translation fault page reclaimed from file system;
          pflt/s - (hardware) protection faults -- including illegal access to
          page and writes to (software) writable pages;
          cpyw/s - protection fault on shared copy-on-write page;
          steal/s - protection fault on unshared writable page;
          rclm/s - pages reclaimed by paging daemon.

          Dfill, cache, pgswp, and pgfil are subsets of vflt; cpyw and steal
          are subsets of pflt.

     -t   Report translation lookaside buffer (TLB) activities:
          tflt/s - user page table or kernel virtual address translation
          faults:  address translation not resident in TLB;
          rflt/s - page reference faults (valid page in memory, but hardware
          valid bit disabled to emulate hardware reference bit);
          sync/s - TLBs flushes on all processors;
          vmwrp/s - syncs caused by clean (with respect to TLB) kernel virtual
          memory depletion;
          flush/s - single processor TLB flushes;
          idwrp/s - flushes because TLB ids have been depleted;
          idget/s - new TLB ids issued;
          idprg/s - tlb ids purged from process;
          vmprg/s - individual TLB entries purged.

     -r   Report unused memory pages and disk blocks:
          freemem - average pages available to user processes;
          freeswap - disk blocks available for process swapping;
          vswap - virtual pages available to user processes.

     -h   Report system heap statistics:
          heapmem - amount of memory currently allocated to system dynamic
          heap;
          allocd - memory in system heap allocated to callers;
          overhd - system heap block management overhead;
          unused - memory in heap available for allocation;
          req/s - number of allocation requests per second;
          bk/req - number of blocks searched per request;
          breq/s - bytes per second requested of heap;
          brnd/s - bytes per second request round-up by heap;
          bfree/s - bytes per second freed.

                                                                        Page 3

SAR(1)                                                                  SAR(1)

     -I   Report interrupt statistics:
          intr/s - non-vme interrupts per second;
          vmeintr/s - vme interrupts per second;

     -U   Report per-CPU utilization statistics:
          Same as -u option except each CPU is shown.

     -R   Report memory statistics
          physmem - physical pages of memory on system;
          kernel - pages in use by the kernel;
          user - pages in use by user programs;
          fsctl - pages in use by file system to control buffers;
          fsdelwr - pages in use by file system for delayed-write buffers;
          fsdata - pages in use by file system for read-only data buffers;
          freedat - pages of free memory that may be reclaimable;
          empty - pages of free memory that are empty.

     -A   Report all data.  Equivalent to -udqbwcayvmprtghIUR.

     -T   Report total counts instead of just percentages or per-second
          values.  The counts are calculated by taking the difference between
          the start and end values in the data file.

EXAMPLES
     To see today's CPU activity so far:

          sar

     To watch CPU activity evolve for 10 minutes and save data:

          sar -o temp 60 10

     To later review disk activity from that period:

          sar -d -f temp

     To show total disk activity from that period:

          sar -T -d -f temp

FILES
     /var/adm/sa/sadd
                    daily data file, where dd are digits representing the day
                    of the month.

SEE ALSO
     gr_osview(1), osview(1), sar(1M)

                                                                        Page 4

SAR(1M)                                                                SAR(1M)

NAME
     sar: sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package

SYNOPSIS
     /usr/lib/sa/sadc [t n] [ofile]

     /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n]

     /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-ubdDycwaqvmprtghIA] [-s time] [-e time] [-i sec]

DESCRIPTION
     System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user
     (see sar(1)) and automatically on a routine basis as described here.  The
     operating system contains a number of counters that are incremented as
     various system actions occur.  These include counters for CPU
     utilization, buffer usage, disk I/O activity, TTY device activity,
     switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activity, inter-
     process communications, paging and graphics.

     sadc and shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and
     process this data.

     sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times every t seconds and
     writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output.  If t and n are
     omitted, a special record is written.  This facility is used at system
     boot time, when booting to a multiuser state, to mark the time at which
     the counters restart from zero.  For example, the /etc/init.d/perf file
     writes the restart mark to the daily data by the command entry:

          su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa`date +%d`"

     The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store
     data in binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd where dd is the current day.  The
     arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t
     seconds, or once if omitted.  The entries in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/sys
     (see cron(1M)):

          0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1
          20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1

     will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly
     otherwise.

     The shell script sa2, a variant of sar(1), writes a daily report in file
     /var/adm/sa/sardd.  The options are explained in sar(1).  The
     /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/sys entry:

          5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A

                                                                        Page 1

SAR(1M)                                                                SAR(1M)

     will report important activities hourly during the working day.

     The structure of the binary daily data file is:

     struct sa {
        struct sysinfo si;  /* see /usr/include/sys/sysinfo.h */
        struct minfo mi;    /* defined in sys/sysinfo.h */
        struck dinfo di;    /* RFS info defined in sys/sysinfo.h */
        int minserve, maxserve; /* RFS server low and high water marks */
        int  szinode;       /* current size of inode table  */
        int  szfile;        /* current size of file table  */
        int  szproc;        /* current size of proc table  */
        int   szlckf;       /* current size of file record header table */
        int   szlckr;       /* current size of file record lock table */
        int  mszinode;      /* size of inode table  */
        int  mszfile;       /* size of file table  */
        int  mszproc;       /* size of proc table  */
        int   mszlckf;      /* maximum size of file record header table */
        int   mszlckr;      /* maximum size of file record lock table */
        long  inodeovf;     /* cumulative overflows of inode table  */
        long  fileovf;      /* cumulative overflows of file table  */
        long  procovf;      /* cumulative overflows of proc table  */
        long  lckovf;       /* cumulative overflows of record lock table  */
        time_t  ts;         /* time stamp, seconds  */
        int  apstate;       /* number of processors */
        struct sgidio  devio[NDEVS];/* device unit information  */
     #define IO_OPS         0   /* cumulative I/O requests  */
     #define IO_BCNT        1   /* cumulative blocks transferred */
     #define IO_ACT         2   /* cumulative drive busy time in ticks  */
     #define IO_RESP        3   /* cumulative I/O resp time in ticks */
     };

FILES
     /var/adm/sa/sadd        daily data file
     /var/adm/sa/sardd       daily report file
     /tmp/sa.adrfl           address file

SEE ALSO
     sar(1), timex(1), cron(1M)

                                                                        Page 2