[svlug] [Off-topic] Do NOT buy an Intel i820/840 mainboard/system that uses SDRAM ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 21 16:41:14 PDT 2000

Quoting Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith at ieee.org):

> It wasn't long before most everyone was recommending VIA's PC133
> mainboards over Intel's i820/840 solutions.

Well, VIA also makes the pretty-good KX-133 chipset for Athlon (Slot A),
used in the Abit KA7 motherboard, among others.  Worth considering.  Put
a gig of SDRAM rated for CAS2 operation [1] at 133 MHz local memory bus
speed, and it'll even accomodate Athlons faster than 1 GHz.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the processor-speed issue:  Most Linux
boxen are I/O-bound.  So, A K6 with fast RAM and a fast SCSI subsystem
suits me fine.  Your needs and wants may differ.

[1] Most vendors wouldn't know Column Address Strobe ratings if those
bit 'em on the posterior, preferring mostly meaningless marketing terms
like "PC133".

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,