[svlug] Max process size

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Sun May 21 14:50:23 PDT 2000

On dim, mai 21, 2000 at 02:01:56 -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> It might be faster to
>
> memset(ptr, 1, 512*1048576)
>
> depending on how the compiler optimizes that loop.

It probably is faster, but being a  good lazy sysadmin, I worried more about
getting an  example up quickly than  having optimized code (in  this case it
was cut&paste code reuse :-D)

You know, it's a bit like I prefer to write perl than C (it'll run slower
but I write it faster) :-)

All that said, yes, memset was the correct[tm] way to do it.

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information