[svlug] IDE CD-Rom burner configuration

Prasanth Kumar kumar1 at home.com
Sat May 20 20:20:29 PDT 2000

Hi all,

I've been trying to get an ide cdrom burner working on my
computer. Actually the problem is not in the burning but
rather the automatic loading of modules. Per the CD burning
howto, I added the following to my /etc/conf.modules:

# cd-burner (scd0) supported via ide->scsi emulation
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
alias block-major-11 sr_mod
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

Additionally in LILO, I add "hdd=ide-scsi".
Now when I do "cdrecord -scanbus", I see the drive show
up fine so I can burn a cd.

Now the problem is not in burning the cd but using the
burner like a normal cd reader via mount. If I modify
/etc/fstab to use /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/hdd and then
try to mount the drive, I get the error
"mount: /dev/scd0 has wrong major or minor number" if
no ide-scsi module is installed. However if I manually
install the module or run the "cdrecord -scanbus" command
and then they do a mount, it works fine. So the problem
is that the kernel doesn't automatically load the ide-scsi
module when a mount request is made. Does anyone have an
idea what else to add to my /etc/conf.modules to make
the kernel do this?

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1 at home.com