[svlug] Re: Dual Processors

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat May 20 19:47:18 PDT 2000

Jose Medeiros wrote:
> I just had a quick question for some of the Linux Guru's out there.
> Does anyone know of a tool that allows me to monitor processor utilization
> on a dual processor system?
>
> BTW:  I tried Top and did not seem to break it down per processor.

Good question.  On Solaris, top does actually display various
processes on different CPUs.

There has got to be a nice /proc util other than top for cpu
utilization like there is for VM (e.g., vmstat).  I guess it's just
not included in Linux distros.  Or maybe we need to write one?

I also looked at ps.  There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for
tracking per CPU utilization.  Maybe there isn't a /proc interface
to do such right now (kernel 2.2).

Hmmm, I'd personally like to see something.  Maybe I need to hit the
kernel 2.3 docs to see if this is, in fact, a /proc limitation in
2.2 (that has been addressed in 2.3).

-- TheBS
   My main, home workstation is a Abit BP6 (this one)

 Bryan J. Smith    mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org,thebs at theseus.com
     Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html
"[the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)] does something
 no copyright law has ever done -- it extinguishes fair use"
            -- Martin Garbus, respected First Amendment Lawyer