[svlug] IDE CD Burner configuration

Prasanth Kumar kumar1 at home.com
Sat May 20 01:23:55 PDT 2000

Anyone have experience configuring IDE CD burners under Linux?
I have modified the boot parameters to have "hdd=ide-scsi".
Then in my /etc/conf.modules, I have per the CD writing howto:

# cd-burner (scd0) supported via ide->scsi emulation
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe -k ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe -k ide-scsi

However with this, if I do mount /mnt/cdrw which is supposed
to mount /dev/scd0, it warns:

mount: /dev/scd0 has wrong major or minor number

But if I do "insmod ide-scsi", then the mount works fine.
What confuses me is that shouldn't the above conf.modules
automate the loading of the module? I prefer not to have
a module loaded all the time nor want to do it manually
if at all possible. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1 at home.com