[svlug] G-Force256 or Matrox-G400-Max?

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Sun May 21 13:40:50 PDT 2000

On dim, mai 21, 2000 at 02:25:18 -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   I have the option of getting either a G-Force256 or Matrox-G400-Max
> in a trade.  Is either fully supported under X-3.3.6?  Which is

The Nvidia card has a much better 3D performance on linux than the G400.
The drivers are closed source though, whereas they're open source for G400.

> "better" for X as well as windows for Games?  Will either work for
> Quake in 3DFX or OpenGL without ALOT of tinkering?

Quake is known as "OpenGL stress testing" at VA :-)
Yes, it works fine on both cards, you'll just get better performance on the
G-Force

Last I  heard the  G400 works  best with Xfree  3.3.6 +  Utah GLX  while the
G-Force is under XF 4.0 with the driver off nvidia's web page.

(note that I'm quoting both from memory because I still use a couple of G200
under xinerama, and you can't get do 3D and xinerama)

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information