[svlug] Re: [svlug]Email to/from SVLUG

Rafael raffi at linwin.com
Sun May 21 00:46:21 PDT 2000

Just as you thought you got away with it :-)

It's been over a week now since svlug email is back to normal. I haven't
changed my mail configuration being convinced that it was OK since
nobody else complained nor did I get error messages related to email from
other people or mailing lists.

My previous message did not generate a record in error log, so I assume
that you guys (SVLUG) changed something sometime after 2000-05-07
11:10:19.

Last error message:

2000-05-07 11:10:19 rejected MAIL FROM: temporarily unable to verify
sender address (try again later) <svlug-admin at lists.svlug.org> H=svlug2.svlug.org
[198.186.203.43] (mail)

It's like somebody came back from vacation :-)

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> On jeu, avr 27, 2000 at 07:26:31 -0700, Rafael wrote:
> > I sent a message earlier to the list but never received it back.
> >
> > Don't know what you guys changed on the mail system which used to work for
> > years. My exim_rejects shows the following:
> >
> > 2000-04-27   17:34:39   rejected   MAIL  FROM:   temporarily   unable   to
> > verify  sender  address  (try again  later)  <svlug-admin at lists.svlug.org>
> > H=svlug2.svlug.org [198.186.203.43] (mail)
> >
> > Seems there is nothing in "MAIL FROM:" which my exim rejects. That
> > prevents 99% of the spam.
>
> AFAIK, you send an Email with an empty envelope sender when that Email is a
> bounce and you don't want a bounce back.

How so? I'm supposed to get a regular email from the list not a bounce.

> Also, the envelope sender doesn't look empty, it looks like it's
> svlug-admin at lists.svlug.org, which gets the Email bounces

It was not bounces to me but "temporarily unable to verify sender address"
which means SVLUG did not authenticate itself when trying to deliver email
to my system.

> > exim_mainlog has the following:
> >
> > 2000-04-27 17:34:39 rejected MAIL FROM: temporarily unable to verify
> > sender address (try again later) <svlug-admin at lists.svlug.org> H=svlug2.svlug.org
> > [198.186.203.43] (mail)
>
> Can't this be a DNS resolving issue?

How about identd on svlug server? Depending on the setup, exim is very
picky on who is trying to deliver a message so you better identify first
or the message won't get delivered. Not 100% but works in most cases. I
get very little spam.

> MArc
> --
> Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
>
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ (friendly to non IE browsers)
> Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information

One way or the other, I'm a happy camper again.

   O__  ---- Rafael Skodlar
  c/ /'_ --- Linux Imagineer since 1994