[svlug] mingetty vs getty

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Sat May 20 14:14:15 PDT 2000

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> My understanding is that the regular, no-modifier getty, these days, is
> the one provided by getty_ps.  Confusingly, agetty (from util-linux) is
> also, as you noticed, also often called just "getty".

Yes, this actually varies with the distro.

> Of the others, mgetty and uugetty are serial-only (not for terminals),
> while mingetty and fbgetty (framebuffer getty) are terminal-only.

Just to avoid confusion: mgetty and uugetty can also be used for dumb
terminals, which are connected thru the serial port as well. Actually they
work with virtual terminals too (I just tested 'mgetty -r' in tty7, and
it works fine, except that it waits for a <CR> to show the login prompt),
although I'd rather use mingetty or getty for that (main reason: ease of
use and configuration -- AKA totally unnecessary!! ;).

I guess the problem here is the naming convention (terminals, consoles,
etc. have several different meanings).

Well, enough with *getty's !! mingetty for virtual consoles and mgetty for
serial ports (or maybe getty for serial ports with dumb terminals). Done.
Have a nice day!! Hehehe ... ;))

Later,
Ivan