[svlug] mingetty vs getty

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 20 08:24:10 PDT 2000

Quoting Ray Olszewski (ray at comarre.com):

> Is there still a real "getty"? Every system I have ever used actually ran
> agetty (sometimes under the name getty), getty_ps, or mgetty.

My understanding is that the regular, no-modifier getty, these days, is
the one provided by getty_ps.  Confusingly, agetty (from util-linux) is
also, as you noticed, also often called just "getty".

Of the others, mgetty and uugetty are serial-only (not for terminals),
while mingetty and fbgetty (framebuffer getty) are terminal-only.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,