[svlug] mingetty vs getty

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri May 19 20:44:21 PDT 2000

I don't have mingetty installed, but the Debian package archive describes
mingetty as "a small, efficient, console-only getty for Linux." I would
guess from this that it does not support serial consoles (though the usage
of "console" is a bit inconsistent here), but the man page is really the
place to find out.

Is there still a real "getty"? Every system I have ever used actually ran
agetty (sometimes under the name getty), getty_ps, or mgetty.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com