[svlug] mingetty vs getty

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Fri May 19 19:43:34 PDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Arthur Thomas wrote:

> anyone know what the difference is between the getty program and the mingetty
> program?
>
> i'm running mingetty on my virtual terminals but i was not able to get
> mingetty to open a serial console. i was able to use getty to open a serial
> console

>From 'man mingetty':

	mingetty(8) is a minimal getty for use on virtual consoles.
	Unlike agetty(8), mingetty is not suitable for serial
	lines. I recommend using mgetty(8) for this purpose.

I wouldn't try agetty either, as it doesn't work very well with ports
other than ttyS[01] in some systems. My rule of thumb is:

	mingetty for virtual consoles
	getty for dumb terminals (or mgetty -r)
	mgetty for modems

Hope this helps.