[svlug] Evil Backquotes (was Re: how to copy a bunch of "." files?)

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Fri May 19 18:44:22 PDT 2000

> Bzzt, thanks for playing.  Both csh and tcsh are available for Linux.
> If your distribution doesn't offer you a choice of either or both,
> then your distribution is more limited and inflexible than mine.

On Redhat, csh is a link to tcsh, much like sh is a link to bash. I
don't know of the existance of a non-tcsh csh; there are alternatives
to bash for 'sh', notably ash.

> The same is true of csh (at least within Debian).

Well, I don't run Debian; maybe that's the problem. I guess debian
does provide a csh that's not tcsh?

> This is why I recommend that newbies avoid csh at all costs -- it will
> just make their life so much simpler to stick with a shell that they
> can actually use for scripting.

I pretty much did that early on -- having found the csh ! syntax for
retrieving past command lines early on to be a bit obtuse, I stuck
with bash. Its ctrl-r is hog heaven.

> Chris Waters   xtifr at dsp.net | I have a truly elegant proof of the
>       or    xtifr at debian.org | above, but it is too long to fit into
> http://www.dsp.net/xtifr     | this .signature file.
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.