[svlug] kernel source and ctag

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri May 19 18:02:41 PDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000 10:22:37 -0700
Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat <emayssat at valinux.com> wrote:

> I would like to navigate the kernel source.  I was thinking that
> using ctags could be useful.

I would use etags instead (better feature set), or cscope.  They are
what I use fo my own projects.

> How can I create a master ctags file for all the kernel source ?

The following works well for etags:

  find . -name \*.[CchH] | xargs etags -C -d -o .etags -T -a

given source files of that naming pattern.

> How to enable the usage of ctag in vi ?

I have no idea as I don't use vi unless absolutely forced to and
without other recourse.  Heck, even Bill Joy doesn't use vi.
(X)Emacs however has rather nice tags support.

> PS: ASAIR ctags enable us to find the code for the called C
> function.  But can we go forward and backward ?

Under (X)Emacs, yes (with caveats).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu