[svlug] drive capacity with Linux

Jose Medeiros cobra at jps.net
Thu May 18 00:58:12 PDT 2000

Christopher..

I can recall the meeting at Netscape a while back ago where someone ( I
forgot the name ) was presenting on Lilo, and he mentioned several issues
with large Drives related to the Mother Board Bios. I am going to assume
that you bought an IDE drive so In relation to your question:

 > fdisk under Linux only recognize it as a 6 Gig drive.  Is there
> any limitation with fdisk with respect to drive capacity?

Not that I am aware of, but the fact that you only see 6 gb leads me to
believe that it is indeed hardware related, as I have a 9 gb SCSI drive and
it sees the whole size.

A few things I would check is if  your Bios can see the full capicity of the
drive?
This sounds like that is were the  issue lies, Maxtor usually includes Bios
translation software such as Ontrack disk Manager, I would then try booting
from this disk and running there configuration utilty?

I am curious to see what you find out?

BTW:  What is the make and model of your mother board?

Jose