[svlug] Thank you

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Wed May 17 17:01:19 PDT 2000

> desired could be achieve with as little as a 486 PC w/ 8 MB of RAM. Better
> yet any Pentium P350 class system with as 32MB of RAM and 15GB HD would do

Probably overkill; but if you're maximizing, memory is usually a better
place to put $$ than towards getting for instance a very fast processor
or a lot of HD.

> I was advised to consider a caching web proxy, like Squid, to maximize the
> use of the DSL line and to figure at least 512 MB for the Squid cache.  Also

Well, if you have the space to spare, go for it. I'm planning on getting
DSL soon so will investigate this.

> to be cautious since the DSL providers are playing Windows-only games and
> that I should tell them I'm running Windows NT 4.0. Usually that will get me

Better yet, tell them you are running Linux. If they balk, then try another
provider. They can't be *that* Windows-centric if it means missed sales.
FWIW, I'm gonna get my DSL from fastpoint -- the sales person had no
problems with Linux.

> jjc
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.