[svlug] Try enabling LBA in your BIOS -- Re: drive capacity with Linux

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs at theseus.com
Wed May 17 15:29:45 PDT 2000

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Christopher Young wrote:
> I recently picked up the 40Gig Maxtor IDE drive and was surprised to
> see fdisk under Linux only recognize it as a 6 Gig drive.  Is there
> any limitation with fdisk with respect to drive capacity?

First off, what distro?  Are you installing?  Or using an existing
system?

I have a DiamondMax Plus 40GB and only had problems with Windows 98
SE.  No problems with RedHat 6.1+ with 2.2.12+ kernels whatsoever.
I have Award 4.51PG BIOS in my systems and have the drives set to
LBA in the BIOS/CMOS setup.

Most OSes have limitations with >4,096 cylinders (255 hds/cyl, 63
cyl/sec, 512 bytes/sec) = ~33.8GB, or >64M linear sectors.

Again, I have heard people having issues with Slackware.  Not sure
about RedHat's installer, but I've got no issues with a working
system.

I previously tried to use Windows 98 SE with it, with limited
success, because in "real mode" (e.g., Shift-F5) Win98 couldn't see
it.  This lead to no less than 5 corruptions and 2 complete
partition table corruptions.  Once I moved the Windows 98
partitions below the 33.8GB barrier, "real mode" could see it and
the corruptions ceased.

With LBA on, it's something like 49xx cylinders (255/63).  You may
be able to "play" with fdisk to use the full capacity (or pass
something to LILO) while installing.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs at theseus.com,b.j.smith at ieee.org
  Disclaimer:  http://www.SmithConcepts.com/legal.html