[svlug] serial console slowness

Arthur Thomas arthur at sitesmith.com
Wed May 17 15:39:01 PDT 2000

Emmanual-Robert,

Thank you for your suggestions

Today I finally got it working with the below changes.

In my /etc/lilo.conf file I have :

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20smp
        label=linux
        append="console=ttyS0,9600n8"
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda7

and in my /etc/inittab I have :

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
7:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600 vt100

any ideas on that?

arthur

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:40:25PM -0700 Emmanuel-Robert Mayssat decided to say:

> Try to use the console on your computer as well
> linux console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
>
> Then run minicom on the console server, and try to configure the
> serial port properly with the right options ...
>
> I would say that your serial link is not configured properly,
> but thanks to minicom you can change the config almost real time.
>
> just an idea ...
>
> --
> Emmanuel
>
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 19:24:27 PDT
> | From:  Arthur Thomas <arthur at sitesmith.com>
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |
> | i put
> |
> | image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14
> |         append = "console=ttyS0,9600"
> |         label=linux
> |         read-only
> |         root=/dev/sda1
> |
> | in my /etc/lilo.conf and i reran /sbin/lilo
> |
> | when I reboot, i get serial console access but it's real slow. normally my
> | server would be at a login prompt in around 30-45 seconds using the vga card.
> | on the serial port, it's taking about 5 minutes for a login prompt. the dmesg
> | scrolls by at a snails pace.
> |
> | any ideas on how to remedy this?
> |
> | Arthur Thomas				          Sitesmith, Inc.
> | arthur at sitesmith.com 		              phone: 408.987.6405
> | Site Engineer		                  24x7 ICCC: 888.898.7667

> | Robert-Emmanuel Mayssat                      @ VA Linux, Inc       |
> | https://vaweb.valinux.com/~emayssat/         Desk # : 408/542-8759 |

Arthur Thomas				          Sitesmith, Inc.
arthur at sitesmith.com 		              phone: 408.987.6405
Site Engineer		                  24x7 ICCC: 888.898.7667

"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." - Steve Wozniak