[svlug] [nearly OT] GPL, GNU, BSD licenses

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue May 16 15:28:39 PDT 2000

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo writes:

> I would like to offer to a company a program but I would like to
> be sure my credits won't be trown away.
>
> They will be free to modify the code and sell any project
> developed on it.
>
> If A) I want the SW developed on it to be Open Source what
> should I do __concretely__?

License your software under the GNU GPL.

> If B) I'm just interested in credits and not in Open Source?

License your software under the original BSD license (listing
yourself, and not the Regents of the University of California,
as the original author).

If you don't care about whether your name has to be mentioned
in advertising, license your software under the modified BSD
license (which removed the advertising clause).

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I