[svlug] Re: [LeapList] FYI, the Open Group has released Motif source for Open Source use ...

Mark W. Alexander mwa at gate.net
Tue May 16 15:04:08 PDT 2000

lesstif is under the LGPL. You can link against it without
exposing yourself to GPL restrictions. This allows lesstif
to be used in place of Motif in commercial applications.
If lesstif where GPL, commercial Motif applications
could not (maybe, I doubt if it's been tested) legally
dynamically link with it.

With it LGPL'ed, it's a drop in replacement for "most"
Motif functionality. I also just noticed that they
have added 2 widget sets with the distribution,
which I'm guessing are not in Motif.

This will allow porting of alot of stuff to Linux/BSD
that people were unwilling to pay for. Not that the
programs are commercial, but they require Motif that
is/was/might not be (I haven't looked at the license
yet...It looked like it's free for free projects ala
QT[?])

Mark Alexander
mwa at gate.net