[svlug] Evil Backquotes (was Re: how to copy a bunch of "." files?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 17 10:23:30 PDT 2000

Quoting Chris Waters (xtifr at dsp.net):

> Yes, and this is the heart of the matter.  As long as people continue
> to promote csh to newbies, newbies will foolishly write csh scripts,
> because they've had to learn the basics of csh programming in order to
> maintain their own .login and .cshrc files.
>
> This is why I recommend that newbies avoid csh at all costs -- it will
> just make their life so much simpler to stick with a shell that they
> can actually use for scripting.

I see that, further down, you mention in passing Tom Christiansen's
wonderful rant on the subject, "csh Programming Considered Harmful".
It's at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

> It is in all the versions of sh I've seen that support backticks, and
> in a few that don't (HP).  I believe that POSIX mandates $() for sh,
> but not backticks.  (Probably worth checking on this.)

According to my recollection of the O'Reilly _Learning the bash Shell_
book, this is so.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,